Friday, February 20, 2009

1950's Purse made by "Vassar" (?) found on Etsy



And yet again I have found something marked "Vassar" on Etsy.

The description read
s, "Genuine Vassar Tortoise Doctor Clutch Bag Purse Tote Leather." Whoa.

It is being sold for $75, but it looks pretty nice and pretty fancy.

Somebody needs to buy it, I can't afford it.


Somebody tell me, was "Vassar" like a brand name for leather purses back in the 50's? Does anyone know the history on this lost purse designer known as Vassar?

5 comments:

  1. Well, there's Vassarette, so it's possible that Vassar was just a popular name in the 50s.

    Also, I Google searched Vassar and clothing and found a store in Vassar, MI that sells viking clothing. Hmmm.

    --Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vassar was a pocketbook factory in East Stroudsburg. Vassar bags were high end leather bags. One of the designers was my grandfather, Harry Lewenstein.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. I just got hold of a LIZARD VASSAR Handbag!!@@!!..Love Love Love the Bag.
    I want to thank and show honor to your Grandfather for sharing such class taste and talent.
    I HAVE RECENTLY FALLEN BACK LOVE WITH VINTAGE BAGS. DON'T BELIEVE IT WILL BE OVER ANY TIME SOON. Do you have any in your collection?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father in law owned a factory named Vassar in Stroudsburg PA in the 50. My husband remembers that his dad went and bought crocodile skins and had high end bag made from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just bought an alligator bag to add to my vintage collection. I have been googling and I cannot find anything on the company. if anyone knows where to find information please add the website. I would appreciate it. Thank you.

      Delete